Saturday, January 7, 2012

Power...Karma...Ripples and Pity




Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character,
give him power.
Abraham Lincoln

            Those of you that know me, or have read some of my previous posts, know that I spend enormous amounts of time around children…gentle, kind, loving children. Yet, like all humans, these precious little people can also be mean, vindictive, and cruel, but, luckily, these behaviors rarely show themselves.  But, alas…I cannot say the same for adults... ones I read about in the news and, fortunately, rarely deal with in my personal life. 
            When I was in college, I was fascinated by my Psychology classes.  I loved the  study of human behavior… and I still do.  The longer I teach and the older I get, the more I find myself becoming more of an observer of human behavior, both in and out of the classroom, than a participant in everyday interactions and I have begun to notice some interesting patterns and similarities in the people I encounter on a daily basis, as well as the people I read about and hear about in the news.  
            One of the most interesting, disturbing, yet personally relevant human behaviors I have come in contact with lately is the abuse of power.  I see its disturbing and intoxicating effects all around me.    Like all of us, I have dealt with individuals who have aggressively pursued and achieved power over family members, friends, co-workers, and even larger groups of people.
             I believe that a person’s true character is revealed when he/she is given power over another human being.  I have been blessed and humbled to witness some of the most loving and gentle spirits reflected in the everyday actions of my fellow teachers as they guide the young and fragile humans that have been put in their hands.  But lately, I have found myself disillusioned, disheartened, discouraged and dismayed by covert and overt abuses of power by individuals whose actions have drowned out any words they may attempt to speak on their own behalf. 
            I believe that every action…every decision has a ripple effect – positive and negative.  It affects our family and friends, so every abuse of power touches beyond its intended victim…it ripples out to the spouse, the children, the parents, the friends, the students and the co-workers. 
            Because of this belief…I feel overwhelming pity for these people because, one day, Karma will visit them.
Karma will not be kind because they were not kind.
Karma will not be gentle because they were not gentle.

 Karma will be thoughtless, vindictive, shallow, petty, judgmental and determined because…
 I cannot imagine a more powerless feeling than watching a loved one suffer because of my Karma. 
Karma will be powerful….and it will ripple. 

2 comments:

Megan johnson said...

I love this! As you know I, also have encountered the abuse of power you are referring to. I felt powerless, and am sure that was the intent. After much reflection, though, I realized I wasn't. I took a horrible situation and made my life better, in spite of everything. I'm sure, to the dismay and surprise of those in power. They are, in fact, powerLESS now. Thank God for all that I am and have that is wonderful in life.

Hippie Chick said...

Megan...I'm so happy that you enjoyed the post. I am so proud that you were able to get out of the situation you were in. You are a strong woman and you are setting a fantastic example for your girls. Bullies don't have to win.